Friday, August 7, 2009

The Story

June 24th, 2009-Present Day

Just another aggravating day at work. I'm doing inventory and the sun is shining outside. The irony of working in a tanning salon on a sunny day is too much to bear. The phone rings and I hear your voice. Another solicitor from England. Annoying Brits. You just want some information. Information on what, I bark. Your tanning salon, I'm coming there on holiday. I remember the first time you made me laugh: You said tanning in the UK involves as much paperwork as adopting a child. We talked for hours. I was taken aback by your profession but I didn't think twice about it. You told me you were coming to visit, and I was nervous. You asked how old I was, and when I said 20 you were disappointed because we couldn't even go for drinks. We talked about everything possible that first day. Two hours later, I went home. I ate dinner at my computer that night, keeping the conversation flowing...I didn't know then that it would be one of many dinners I ate in front of a screen, in an attempt to communicate with you.

At first we spoke here and there- you called my work, or sent me instant messages...Kept me company when I was bored, or just checked in to say "hello". There was never a point to it- just the idea of having someone to talk to, I guess. But you intrigued the heck out of me. I couldn't wait to meet you- and then you never came. Something bad happen to your boss' godson and you never made it across the pond. We didn't know when you'd get another chance to come to the states, but it didn't stop us from talking.

As time passed on, the conversations grew more intense. We became more and more open with one another- ask me anything, I'd say. Absolutely anything? You'd respond. Yes, absolutely anything. Questions about our families, personal lives, work, friends, and even moral dilemas- we answered, debated, agreed to disagree. Two such different people, willing to meet on common ground. I found myself downloading the most up to date software on my phone so that my IM's wouldn't crash as much and conversation could flow easier. You found yourself more attached to your phone and computer than you ever expected you could be. We turned each other into nerds we didn't even recognize. Two people, who just wanted to talk, no matter what, going to any lenghts. What were the odds?

I went on vacation to Las Vegas. I was stuck on the triple date from hell. All I wanted was for you to come and rescue me. You rescued me by talking to me every day, for hours on end. You kept me sane, and just how much you did, you'll never actually know. Whenever I felt mad, annoyed, or hurt by my fellow vacationers' actions, you reminded me that this was my vacation too. I didn't want to tell you, and I probably wouldn't tell you now... I snuggled up against my pillows all of those nights, wishing and hoping you'd show up.

I came home and then soon the phone calls came. You started setting your alarm to call me at 5 or 6 o'clock in the morning your time- just when I was getting in from my nights out. We caught up on our days, talked about everything, sometimes just dozed softly and comfortably in the silence. You talked me to sleep, and I pretended to be wide awake, because I didn't want you to go. Selfish, maybe. But to be honest, this entire situation has been nothing but proof of self-love. I knew we were starting to get really close...I almost questioned it. I started to worry that maybe we were getting too close. I looked forward to talking to you or hearing from you more than some of my own friends, who I see on a regular basis. We have nicknames for each other, think of one another when we can't be together- on the phone or IM- because in reality, who knows if we'll ever even meet.

Big spoon, this is only the synopsis, the beginning. I don't know if I'll ever let you (or any one else) read this. I'm taking note of this, because the feeling that you give me is something I've never experienced before. You fill my stomach with butterflies at the very sound of your voice, and calm me with your thoughts. We connected with each other on a level I never thought possible. It's our story, and don't be mad, but some day I just might publish it.

Yours,
Little Spoon

No comments:

Post a Comment